Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bringing a little bit of October

Well, I'm sure this isn't news to y'all, but according to Ken Rosenthal, the Reds have come to terms on a prelimary agreement with Jeremy Affeldt.

I know some people don't, but I like the move. First, it's not like there was a vast wealth of quality pitching available at a reasonable price. Second, I like that he has (albeit limited) post-season experience. I know he had some issues as a starter, but a lot of those were related to a fingernail issue, and he had that fingernail removed. Finally, it's a relatively low-risk move.

We'll have to wait and see, but I like what I see!

3 comments:

bob in ct said...

Agree, this is yet another low cost, high reward deal.Having that nail removed to solve his starting issues was a good thing, just makes me wonder why hasen't any other team given him a shot at starting again? not like the Rockies were overloaded with front line starters last year, two rookies and Josh Fogg;my only guess would be he was sucessful in the pen and they didn't want to mess with that. Still... makes me wonder.

Laura said...

Yeah, I definitely see that point and I wonder too. Still, never bad to have another good pitcher in the fold.

bob in ct said...

The only bad thing I see about this deal is the supposed promise of competing for the starting rotation,remember Kirk Saraloos? he seemed to develope quit an attitude when he was put in the bullpen.Not saying Affedlt is like him but the situation is very simmilar hopefully he makes the rotation and if not he accepts his role in the pen better.